3/21/2008

To Make a Difference

I received an email yesterday from a lady who was compelled to write me a very deep and emotional email - We've never met - never spoken before - She emailed me through my website - I was very touched by her story - She told me that she is a single mother and has a 7 year old daughter - she went on to tell me what she makes an hour and what she does for a living and she explained how difficult it is both financially and emotionally - that times we're so tough for her - She said her clothing budget is zilch - she has tried shopping at the Goodwill but she never seems to find plus size items - and for work she wears one pair of basic black pants and just changes out the tops but washing them so often causes them to wear out so quickly -

And then she said something that was so powerful and that got me thinking deeper - she said - "there aren't alot of options for plus-size poor women" - she is so very right! There is nothing out there for women in her situation and I am sure she is not alone - I am personally trying to help her - But another way I am hoping to help and expand on that is just by word of mouth and sharing this post with every woman I know - If we all just had one item in our closet that perhaps does not fit anymore or maybe has some slight flaw that we do not wear but is still in good usable condition - If each one of us sent just one or two plus-size clothing items to our local charity for women - how much of an impact that would have as a whole - There are many women in her situation and equally there are many women in a situation where they may have one or two items they can part with and donate to help - This is my hope and this is my wish.

While I was very saddened by her email - It was very emotional to read and heartbreaking - I was also taken back by her ability to be a strong woman and a Mom who keeps on pushing every day - She was very vulnerable and yet so strong - she said - "when you’re a parent you can’t be ashamed to ask for help" - through all of her financial and emotional termoil and heartache - what a very strong woman she is - Women are so resilient and strong in nature!

~ Kathy ~ 03/21/2008
Kathy's Curvy Corner

No comments: